Re: Re: Re: 2165, a York Copy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by the Guy in CA on March 04, 2001 at 15:52:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: 2165, a York Copy? posted by Klaus on March 04, 2001 at 13:56:18:

Maybe the old Conns were the inspiration, but a Jacobs-model CC Holton built in 72 was the horn Gerhard Meinl measured and (initially) modeled the 2165 project after. Part of the reason "the project" seems to have gone on so long is that several changes done with the original design didn't produce great improvements ... the most currently-produced 2165
is a matured design that may show "styling cues" from the 6/4 Grand Orchestral American tradition, but it is it's own design (I'm told) with it's own playing characteristics (I've heard.) Others with an interest in this topic might call Matt Walters at Dillon's Music, their shop had the very first Meinl 2165 come through there a while ago and he may have some background on THAT horn to share. Remember though, at least as far as these two tubas are concerned, they are essentially one-off's (i.m.h.o.)
As to the history involving Meinl and that certain Holton tuba, well....it's in the archives here on this BBS. I'd suggest anyone with an interest take the time to do a search and read through some of the many many posts. This report's on good authority from the original owner, the pro who was playing it in the Berlin Radio Symphony at the time (c. 1991) and Mr. Meinl. b.t.w. the reason I am so "up" on this particular thread is because I own the horn now!

dunno if this helps, but f.w.i.w.

dp

Follow Ups: