Buescher CC at Dillon's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jobey Wilson on March 05, 2001 at 12:39:24:

This past Friday, I was in NJ and decided on a whim to take a little side trip to Dillon's for the first time. I ended up staying there playing tubas for about 2 hours. I had read the posts on the Buescher piston CC Matt Walters built, so I defintely wanted to try it out. I'll tell you what, that's a GREAT TUBA!! Incredible response, intonation, and evenness throughout. "Yorkish" sound qualities. The high register is incredibly agile...at first you would think you're playing an F. I played some cello suites, and they came out incredibly effortlessly and very fluid. Then I checked out the lungs on the low register. It took me a minute to get the hang of it (I play an old Alexander CC, and the low register technique is a little different...the piston Buescher needs more of a "sigh" to get the most out of the lows). Once I started giving it the right air, the sound absolutely blossomed. The response in the low register was incredible, and the sound was beautiful, round, and HUGE! Hats off to Matt for building such an incredible tuba! If any of you get a chance to visit Dillon's, DO IT! If I had the money, there is NO question I would have bought the horn on the spot.
-Jobey Wilson

Follow Ups: