Re: Re: Malcolm Arnold Quintet No. 1?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on March 07, 2001 at 22:28:36:

In Reply to: Re: Malcolm Arnold Quintet No. 1? posted by jEFFIE the elephant on March 06, 2001 at 23:57:53:

Actually that is where I heard of the Arnold Little Suite. I had a student who made All County Band and she brought her music into her lesson and I saw the reference to the original piece for brass.
I have performed the first 3 Ewalds, and they are all fantastic. No. 3 is especially romantic, but No. 1 is still my favorite. Everything is just right in it. Number two is a bit long-winded for me but it is still an excellent piece. I have not heard nor played any of the more recently discovered works by Ewald. I would be very interested in finding more out about those. Also did the Dahl a few years back, very far out! It is a bit limited in audience appeal however. You really have to be performing in the right setting to do it; obvioulsy not a summer concert in the park kind of piece! Tough part to play on tuba, that is one advantage of doubling on bass bone!
Good luck with your quintet playing! Sounds like you are doing some great stuff! If you would like any other literature suggestions or ideas, feel free to email me directly.
ken k

Follow Ups: