Re: tuba playing and "workouts"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gregory Wildes on March 08, 2001 at 12:56:09:

In Reply to: tuba playing and "workouts" posted by tubatheorist on March 07, 2001 at 20:02:32:

If you really want to explore breathing you can try to learn circular breathing. This is also great for developing tone. Once you can sustain notes indefinitely you can mess around with all the variables of the lips, cheeks, throat, pressure, etc...gradually developing strength, awareness, and control of the entire process. I also work out a couple of times a week and do yoga (also great for breathing exercise). This Mardi Gras I marched with a "Tuba" for the first time. At first I wondered what the hell I had gotten myself into carrying that thing around but then I settled in for some total marching band fun. We were playing Inna Gada Da Vida in concert D. I found my "Tuba" in a dumpster. A local high was tossing out all their trashed band instruments. This thing had no valves on it. I simply added about 15 feet of garden hose and just blew harmonics on a D fundamental. Just happened on this bboard while researching harmonic series stuff. Have fun today.

Follow Ups: