Re: Conn/Dillon tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on March 12, 2001 at 22:56:53:

In Reply to: Conn/Dillon tuba posted by From what? on March 12, 2001 at 17:42:31:

All ya have to do is ask. That CC tuba was put together a a few years ago. The bell and bottom bow came from a "Giant Wonder" Conn Eb tuba. I cut and tapered some BBb branches to mimic an original 5/4 York CC (Not a 6/4 like Jacobs owned.). A former employee assembled the valve section starting with an old original front action Conn valve set (.734 bore). As per the consignee's original wishes, this particular 5/4 Conn has a darker, heavier sound than any of the others we have built with that bell and bottom bow. It's breadth of sound and response is more like a 6/4 horn, than that of a 4/4 horn. There is supposed to be a case that comes with the horn. Until he brings in the case, I didn't want to advertise it. So, if you don't want a 6/4, but most 5/4 horns are to thin sounding for you, give this horn a try.
It's always interesting to see old work. I have to stop and think about what skills and materials we had available back then. Today, I would have done a few cosmetic things differently. I hope that answers some questions. If I can just keep learning, I'll never get too old.
Matt

Follow Ups: