Re: Re: Caring for new horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason on March 13, 2001 at 16:07:14:

In Reply to: Re: Caring for new horn posted by tubatheorist on March 12, 2001 at 21:01:07:

Hey! Just a comment about your setting the tuba bell down on a towel. I don't think its excessive, especially when you spend all that dough for the horn! What I have done is I went to a local hardware store, and bought a lengthy piece of clear plastic tubing from the plumbing aisle. Cost me maybe a little over a buck. Slit the tubing on one side with a razor and put put the tubing around the bell. This does take a little bit of strength if you go for the heavy duty stuff, which I did! :-) But I actulally used a soldering iron on just the outside of the plastic to almost tack it together and give it time to get into shape. The tack has since gone, but since the plastic is bent into shape don't need it! I have recieved many comments about it, and most people wonder what music store I bought it from...hee hee...I have also heard that it would help improve my tone, but I have taken it off and on, and no difference. But it has kept my bell scratch free! Just thought I would share!

Follow Ups: