Re: Two tubas arriving for trial today

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric on March 14, 2001 at 11:21:52:

In Reply to: Two tubas arriving for trial today posted by Mary Ann on March 14, 2001 at 09:56:23:

Either one is a relatively small tuba. In my opinion the Yamaha is a better quality horn, and if they are about the same price I would lean towards that. It really depends on the type of playing that you plan to do. Neither tuba would make a great orchestral instrument, but either should work well in a small ensemble. If you are already comfortable with F tubas and haven't really been playing CCs, your embouchure will also be more comfortable with the F and that will bias your decision too.

Your general assessment of the ranges is also correct. I think that you are on the right track, have some local teachers check them out, you play test them, and pick the one that works for you, if any. Try them for a while, put them down and come back the next day and see if your assessment is still the same. Also have someone else listen to you playing on them. Be prepared to send them both back if you aren't comfortable with either. I know that you are ready to buy, but make sure that you will be happy with the final choice. Good Luck.

Follow Ups: