Re: Re: Tuba/Euph doubling

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony Labelle on March 14, 2001 at 14:38:38:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba/Euph doubling posted by David Zerkel on March 14, 2001 at 12:47:20:

I have to agree with all that Dave said.

I just finished about three months of playing Euph with a local University Wind Ensemble, and I can't begin to describe how much it benefited my tuba chops. Playing the euph, in itself, is quite an experience, too. Once I got used to the Bb fingerings, I enjoyed it immensly. Make sure you don't fall into any weird habits, though. Because of the difference in airflow with the Euph, I got into the habit of "capping" my breaths... though I'm sure it didn't help, it didn't seem to affect my euph playing at all... HOWEVER, when I went back to playing tuba full time, I had a very hard time properly controlling my air. It took about a week of breathing exercises and long tones to get me back to where I was before. I'm sure that if I had been practicing the tuba regularly, along with the Euph, this wouldn't have happened.

As long as you're aware of the effects that playing the two horns have on each other, you shouldn't have any problems making any adjustments. Hope I helped.

Anthony

Follow Ups: