Re: Monteux Institute?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff miller on March 15, 2001 at 18:41:55:

In Reply to: Monteux Institute? posted by Martin on March 08, 2001 at 16:41:16:

Hi. I spent the summer of 1994 in Maine doing this course. I thought it was great. It definately WASN'T anything like Aspen, etc.

Basically, it's a lot of hard work, but we played through about 60 pieces of hardcore orchestral rep in less than 6 weeks. There's a performance once a week of selected pieces, but with most pieces you have 30 to 60 minutes to get it as right as possible. The performance pieces are rehearsed maybe 2 hours in the week of the performance.

I really recommend this school if you want to learn a lot of rep in a short time, and want to develop your ability to give a convincing performance with very little rehearsal time. You will also learn to decifer those cryptic semaphore messages that the guy with the stick is sending to you. (and you will learn to rip a conductor to shreds as well!)

Also, the area is beautiful - lots of ocean, forest, etc, etc, etc. It's very rural, so if you can't live without a high-paced night life for 6 weeks, do something else.

Also, not recommended if you are allergic to mosquitos.

Oh, one more thing - all the conductors play in the orchestra. This means that the orchestra isn't fnatastic. It's not bad, but you can have some very advanced players sitting along side some people that haven't practiced their instruments very much in several years.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Follow Ups: