Re: Hirsbrunner question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim C on March 16, 2001 at 08:50:32:

In Reply to: Hirsbrunner question posted by tubatheorist on March 15, 2001 at 13:48:27:

Peter Hirsbrunner is the one to ask. You can email him at contact(AT)hirsbrunner.com. He has been very prompt and courteous in answering my (seemingly endless) questions about my horn (which has seen many owners, and many modifications).

It is my understanding that only the HB6 (HBS 293) were handmade (although other posters will be more than happy correct me if I am wrong :-) I'm not too sure thy have made many recently, as the grand orchestral HB-50 (HBS 510) takes care of that market ... although they have the same price new (in the states) of $17k.

Your HB 21 (HBS 392) is a 4/4 tuba and is a bit smaller than the HB6 (5/4) (hard to believe, eh?).

I own (yes, I got it from a pro who had 2) a 25 year old HB6 and love it! It is responsive from the basement to the attic (an easy 3-1/2 octave range ... C 2 octaves below the bass cleff to G above the bass cleff), at all volumes. The only problems I have with it are due to (1) a need for a valve job (2) the need for a chem-cleaning (the horn ... not me) and (3) my own ability.

Enjoy your new horn & keep us posted on what you find about it's intonation, etc. Some of us are interested to know.

Follow Ups: