Sousies vs Tubas . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on March 17, 2001 at 14:35:32:

Here's a thought that's been troubling me for a while, maybe some of you too . . .

Obviously, sousa's and Tubas play somewhat differently, and due to bell orientation sound like-- ... um, like a sousaphone. However, if one compares a good sousaphone with some well-regarded "American" style Tubas, the only really outstanding differences from a design standpoint are the leadpipe (smooth one-piece vs those darn goosenecks & bits), and bell diameter. In some cases (Conn 20K vs 20J for example) even the bell is essentially the same.

(Yes, this comparison is less valid with Euro-style design & rotary tubas, etc.)

My burning question is this: If given a "real" leadpipe and an 18" upright bell, would a well-made sousa play the same as a decent tuba?

The King 2341 bell will fit on their Sousa, I believe, and the same for the Conn 20J & 20K. Anyone out there wanna whip up a one-piece leadpipe and tell us what you think?

I seem to remember an article a long time ago from the Brass Player's Guide which discovered that a sousa with an upward bell was indistinguishable from a tuba to most listeners in blind-testing.

Thoughts, anyone?

Mark "once played a Conn 14K sousa that has really made me think about it" Mazak

Follow Ups: