Re: Re: Re: Re: Chronic Slide-Pull-emia!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ike H. on March 21, 2001 at 11:41:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Chronic Slide-Pull-emia! posted by Rick Denney on March 21, 2001 at 10:49:05:

Rick, I agree with you on the "habit" thing in regards to slide pulling. Back when I played a Conn 2j, I did the pull constantly, as it was convenient to do so with the way the horn was set up. I saw other very good players do it around that time (early 70's) and thought it was the thing to do. Later on, I went through the Mirafone spectrum of horns with their equally easy set-up to do so, and followed suit. Then I bought a Getzen, and the balance of the horn and position of the 1st slide presented a problem in doing this, and about the same time I'd read Jake and Harvey's comments about having a horn that was flexible enough to not have to do so much pulling, which this one proved to be, and my focus went into listening more to the pitch and just blowing where it needs to be.
I found buzzing tunes with the mouthpiece helpful, along with just listening closer while playing with others(it helps if the other players do the same). After a while, I've gotten used to playing pretty successfully without pulling, and after acquiring an older 186 as a second horn, I find myself just holding the 1st slide without doing any pulling.

Ike "still working on the 1+2 combo and the F-D thing" Harris

Follow Ups: