Re: considering a Conn 56J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob on March 24, 2001 at 02:17:04:

In Reply to: considering a Conn 56J posted by Dan on March 23, 2001 at 13:03:10:

The 56J and its brother, the 52J, are both excellent horns and would compliment a 6/4 CC and an F very well. I was fortunate enough to test drive a 52J for about 2 weeks, which allowed me to do everything from pit to quintet to full orchestra. I found it to be a little light for my tastes (since my main horn then was a 6/4), but it worked well in the smaller settings (it had a very distinct 3/4 flavor to it). I've played the 56J as well and thought it had little more body than the 52J, which is good, and I think would have suited me better, even in quintet settings.

I should mention that after my 2 week test drive I returned the horn, and eventually ended up with a CB50. My experience with these horns has been that they really vary greatly from one horn to another in how they play, feel, and sound. I was able to pick from 4 used ones and found one that plays and sounds, to me, like a 4/4 York tuba. If you can find one you like, I highly recommend it.

Another good complimentary horn that was fun to play was the Yamaha 661. Not much to it, but very open and responsive and would fit real well between a 6/4 and an F IMO (even if it is 3/4).

Follow Ups: