Re: Re: considering a Conn 56J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on March 24, 2001 at 12:32:25:

In Reply to: Re: considering a Conn 56J posted by More info, please on March 24, 2001 at 00:38:06:

While I haven't gotten to play one yet, I post here as one who has HEARD the 56J in performance recently at a concert by the Cuyahoga Valley Brass Band. They are an excellent ensemble, with authentic traditional instrumentation - two BBb & two EEb tubas.

As an aside, They'll be at the Brass Band national contest in April in Wash D.C.-
check'em out if you're there.

There was actually - I'm not 100% positive - CCs on the BBb parts and an F & Eb on the Eb parts. Your ears wouldn't know for sure, though. Nice section sound.

Anyhoo, during the intermission I asked which cat(s) were playing the meaty, organ-like pedals I was hearing. It was from that lil' satin 56J played by Rob Phillips. Bear in mind, however, that Rob also happens to be the UMI guy who co-designed & tooled the new Conns, so He knows the horn better than just about anyone (see tubaDave's Conn story pages).

I'm sure it's the player that makes it go, of course, but this guy could build himself any tuba he wants, and uses the lil' Conn for the gig anyway (w/ the large TE Helleberg, I believe).

I can't speak for how the horn would sound in an Orchestra, or solo, but it sure (w/ a good player) held it's own in a "to-the-fore" brass band setting.

Mark "I want one" Mazak

Follow Ups: