Re: F Tuba mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on March 25, 2001 at 00:17:27:

In Reply to: F Tuba mouthpieces posted by New to F tubas on March 24, 2001 at 22:26:48:

Of course, EVERYONE has their own opinion, and I predict several others will offer theirs. Here is mine:

The best "new to F tuba playing" mouthpiece is the Schilke 69C4. If you can special order it, it doesn't cost much more to get it with a larger throat and I recommend that too, unless you are playing one of the tiny F's such as the small Yamaha. If you have a handy guy in your town, you might want to order it "stock", in case you like it that way. Your "handy guy" could open up the throat for you later, at your discretion. I sell these, if you happen to decide on this choice. $60 for "stock".

If you REALLY think you want something a little deeper (but still relatively shallow), you might consider the Marcinkiewicz N4 ("Tommy Johnson") or if you like thin-rimmed wide-embouchured mouthpieces, perhaps the Marcikiewicz H4 (a shallower version of a Helleberg-style mouthpiece). I sell those, too, for $60.

I still recommend the 69C4 Schilke as your "first try" mouthpiece for any F tuba.

Follow Ups: