Proposal for T.U.B.A./I.T.E.C.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Out on a limb..... on March 25, 2001 at 01:09:21:

I have read all the posts concerning the TUBA/ITEC controversy and voiced my opinion to my wife. Her comment was PUT UP or SHUT UP and, unfortunately, I agree with her on this. (By the way, she supports this tuba player about 150%. What other wife would go from Texas to New Jersey to listen to new tubas and tell me to pick the horn I liked regardless of the price??? I did and she agreed!!!)
I have read things I agree with on both sides of the argument. Perhaps for the academics in the crowd, TUBA is no longer to your liking. However, for those of us who play the instrument purely for enjoyment and the fellowship of other like minded individuals, a "brotherhood" is perfect for us.

I would like to make a few of proposals:

1. Make the name ITEC a subsidiary of TUBA.
2. Let the membership choose which organization to belong to - ITEC or TUBA (grammar not good here - sorry:( !!
3. Have an online Journal for TUBA members. (Available through this web site?)
a) Perhaps pull some of the more informative posts from the BBS?
b) Have a panel of TUBA members compile the posts?
4. Have quarterly or bi-annual gatherings of TUBA members hosted by willing persons.

I would like to keep some sort of organization going without splitting up what Harvey Phillips, Winston Morris, Earl Louder, and others worked so hard to accomplish. Their intent was to unify tuba and euphonium players and to work towards the "brotherhood", to get composers to write for the instruments and a multitude of other things.

For those of you familiar with the persons named, you will notice there is a preponderance of academics represented. That group has always been the most involved in the "organization". The rest of us have a living to make other than teaching and less interest in getting published or being involved in our organization for the sake of tenure. Playing is fun, not academic. (Lest anyone get the wrong idea here, I earn a good portion of my living playing the tuba.) However, in defense of the academics, they have been, in large part, responsible for the huge number of solo and ensemble pieces written for tuba and euphonium over the past 30 years.

HERE IT IS:
I am willing to host a regional get together of tuba and euphonium players. I propose a full day of stuff. Lets see - repair and maintenance, panels (topics of your choice), bring and play all the different instruments and mouthpieces, good time to meet and visit with other like minded "brothers" (and sisters), concerts by participants, new music, old music, out of print music, transcriptions and arrangements and, well, whatever...I can come up with a venue at a local school, church or community center. Start about 9:30 a.m. and end around 10 p.m. by going to the local IHOP for a late night snack.

I live in Houston, TX so Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas folks let me know. Any more of you interested in hosting? Go for it!

Any takers? e-mail me at musician(AT)quixnet.net if you are interested.

Follow Ups: