Re: FED UP!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on March 25, 2001 at 12:32:17:

In Reply to: FED UP!!! posted by Dennis AsKew on March 23, 2001 at 11:23:06:

A big question that must be asked concerning the direction of TUBA/ITEC is the people in charge of the organization. Who would be interested in putting in the required hours? It seems that it benefits those in academia. There are those who are looking for tenure or showing their school they are an active member of an international organization. I am not putting them down but this is a major part of any organization like this.

Unlike other professional organizations, music has those "weekend warriors" who make a living doing something else. In the tuba/euphonium world, they are vast majority but no one seems to want to take a leadership role. That leaves the leadership in a position of determining what is good for the entire group.

So what can you do? How about getting off your butts, stop complaining and do something. The Journal can only print articles submitted to them - write something! Don't like the direction they're going - attend a meeting (there is never a "closed meeting" with TUBA/ITEC). Want a local chapter - form it.

In the early 80's there was a local chapter in Chicago. It basically folded because to many thought it was a good idea but wanted meetings in their neighborhood. There were players but not many who wanted to do the dirty work and form it.

There use to be a saying on Harvey Phillip's studio door that went something like this (correct me if I'm wrong): There are those who do and those who don't and there are those who wonder what went down.

If you want to do something about TUBA/ITEC, get off your butts and do it!

Follow Ups: