Re: FED UP!!!/Did I piss away my money?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on March 26, 2001 at 11:29:41:

In Reply to: FED UP!!!/Did I piss away my money? posted by griping on March 26, 2001 at 10:34:26:

David,

I have to disagree with you, and strongly.

1) T.U.B.A. has NOT foundered because (as you put it) "the vast majority of the posters and readers really want someone else to do the thinking for them." Actually I think that a LOT of folks are more offended by directors who (seemingly) feel as directors they're the only ones who CAN do the thinking.

T.U.B.A. does not enjoy rampant membership growth because it does not address the needs of the population it claims interest in. T.U.B.A. does not enjoy warm fuzzy acclaim on this BBS because the administration of member dues does not meet the expectations of the people shelling out the bucks.

2) If posters on this minimally-moderated BBS really were "like-minded" the fare for discussion would be pretty bland. Anonymity though, for many of our younger readers seems to mean that all need for social decorum has been tossed out the window.

This fact in NO WAY minimizes the common thread of all the T.U.B.A. piss/FED strings.
It's likely that a lot of those posters are no longer members, and MAYBE (just maybe) their tirades contain some hints as to what "the directorate" s/b doing.

3) It'd be human nature for you T.U.B.A. folks to dismiss criticism if it came (as too often on this BBS, unfortunately) from anonymous sources. But to dismiss, ignore, or otherwise fail to act on publicly-attributed concerns is offensive and perhaps the number one reason why some no longer send money to the organization.

f.w.i.w.

Dale "wonders how many academics can fit on the head of a pin?" Phelps

Follow Ups: