Re: Re: Re: Ode to the Ophiclide

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam Gnagey on March 27, 2001 at 06:56:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Ode to the Ophiclide posted by Chuck Jackson on March 26, 2001 at 02:59:38:

My ophicleide plays best in the typical euphonium range. I am using an old Holton Chicago 15 trombone mouthpiece on it. It is a 9-keyed model in C which makes playing the low F# pretty difficult. While it has keys like a woodwind the fingering system is nothing like any woodwind instrument. All the keys except the lowest one are closed. When you open a key it basically puts the insturment in a higher key with the associated overtone series. The range is down to B below the bass clef and as high as your chops are capable. I've had the instrument for about a year and with sporadic practice I'm able to get through about 1/3 of the Rubank Advanced I book for trombone and baritone. It is possible to play the instrument well and in tune. It is difficult to get a consistant tone quality. The sound is a mellow blend of low double reed and euphonium. I don't know about suitability to modern performance, but I'm having a great time just learning to play this one.

Follow Ups: