Re: EBAY

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Me too on March 27, 2001 at 07:57:08:

In Reply to: EBAY posted by Josh Combs on March 26, 2001 at 20:50:59:

I have purchased quite a few tubas, sousaphones, euphoniums, and helicons on eBay. As others have said, you really need to know what things are worth, because I have seen things sell for much more than the market elsewhere. But, there are some real bargains. I bought a Conn 21J with an original upright bell for $1000 in excellent condition (sold for $1900), a Conn 20K for $1200 with perfect valves and only a few superficial dents (worth $1800-$2500), an old King sousaphone, with perfect valve plating, for $400 that, once it was cleaned up, both looked and played great (sold for $800).

Bargains are out there, but so is a lot of junk. Knowledge is power.

One thing to watch out for is to not "fall in love" with anything. Set a price that you are willing to pay, and don't be disappointed or continue bidding if the price goes any higher than that price. Also, don't bid against yourself by continuing to bid during the auction. I suggest putting in a bid at the highest price you are willing to pay within the last 15-30 seconds of the auction or snipe. That way you aren't bidding up the price against yourself.

Follow Ups: