Re: Flexibility within the MIlitary Groups

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brant on March 31, 2001 at 16:09:02:

In Reply to: Flexibility within the MIlitary Groups posted by Dustin Moburg on March 28, 2001 at 12:24:38:

It's the Army's turn. As a 15 year veteran of active duty army bands and a currently a tuba player for the CO Army Nat'l Guard, I thought I'd throw my $0.02 worth in...

I spent my career in the normal bands (no special or MACOM (major command) bands for me), so you are expected to play concert band, marching band, plus if you're lucky quintet and even dixie band (my favorite). If you double on other instruments, more than likely you'll be able to play them.

As for quality of bands that varies...The Special Bands (the ones in DC) are the best...very high standards hard to get into...you're in 'till you retire. MACOM bands easier to get into require an audition score of 3.0 or higher. There is no guarantee you'll stay in a MACOM band your whole career because there a lot more qualified players in the entire band field than MACOM slots.

The other bands' quality can vary a lot. This is because the band's mission can include more soldier type duties (mostly rear security) and it's a constant struggle to find a balance between the two (music vs. military). I've played in some very good bands and some not so good bands. Not matter the band's overall quality, I was always able to find musical satisfaction in some type of small ensemble.

Follow Ups: