Re: Good Quality Moutpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on March 31, 2001 at 21:03:05:

In Reply to: Good Quality Moutpieces posted by Angela on March 31, 2001 at 13:29:58:

Like others have said, you need to try a lot of mouthpieces, because that is as personal a taste as the horn itself, and equally or more important. That said, a mouthpiece will not make you sound good. It might improve the quality of your sound, but it will not create a good sound FOR you. Also, be careful as to your definition of "better". More expensive or more popular does not equal "better" for you. Right now, Parantucci mouthpieces are very popular, and more pricey than most other brands. I play on a PT-48 myself. It is the best mouthpiece I have found FOR ME. For you, it might be a lowly Blessing 24AW that makes you sound your current best. Or, it might be a Schilke Helleberg II. Who knows?

Case in point: on my Piggy, my teacher sounds better with his Heavy-wall Helleberg, I sound better with my PT-48. I was playing a Helleberg before I got the PT, and it's a big difference in sound. My point is that only you can say for sure what mouthpiece gives you optimum sound quality and confidence. However, the guidance of a good teacher will help you narrow your search quickly.

Steve

Follow Ups: