Re: Re: Re: Re: E - flat tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Erickson on April 01, 2001 at 21:15:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: E - flat tubas posted by Jay Bertolet on March 31, 2001 at 00:10:23:

Re the E-flats:

I'm prejudiced, but totally agree with Jay Bertolet and others about the Willson Eb. Of course, I helped with the design and promotion but it has been my partner for gigs with the Baltimore Opera Orchestra, as extra tuba with the National Symphony, on all my jazz and trad dixieland gigs, and for all my brass quintet work. I like it because of the sound clarity and projection. The sound you here on the stahe is the sound that carries to the back of the hall. For players who perfer a totally different tuba sound--a brighter and tighter sound, this may be too much horn, except for the fact that the clarity is so good. Use a smaller mouthpiece and it will focus beautifully.

The other nice thing about this instrument is its virtual indestructibility! The valves and craftmanship throughout are first rate, made my Willy and Willie Kurath, the father & son team who make the instrument in Switzerland.

It isn't cheap, but if you take care of this horn, it will last forever, and the resale value, if you can ever bear to part with the horn, is first-rate. For any of you close to the Lansing area who would like to try the horn, stop by. In the D.C. area, Andy Carlson and Bill Gray in the US Navy Band both play them. If you need any other info, let me know.

Marty Erickson

Follow Ups: