Re: Re: Re: Re: E - flat tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frederick J. Young on April 05, 2001 at 18:58:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: E - flat tubas posted by Jay Bertolet on April 05, 2001 at 10:32:41:

I played professioally also on all of those old time instruments. I have heard the same story from many tubists but they never mention why they don't like compensating instruments. What were the difficulties with the ones you used? Perhaps they could be removed if they were known.

I am well known for my scientific work and have designed such things as nuclear power plants and superconducting motors and generators for propelling destroyers. These devices are new and have to be designed from scratch in most cases. If you try things without a mathematical and physical analysis you get very little that works. On a scale of 1 to 10 designing an optimal tuba is about 1.5 in difficulty.

Some of the troubles with the old style instruments are indeed elementary. If each valve alone is in tune, there is no way for combinations of them to be in tune. I'm sure with your extensive experience you can lip them as you would wish. However, there are a lot of less talented people who deserve instruments that help them rather than hinder them!

Follow Ups: