Re: New Horn Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on March 02, 2002 at 10:07:56:

In Reply to: New Horn Questions posted by Jay on March 02, 2002 at 01:33:12:

Whether to go with BBb or C depends on what you are comfortable with. Either will work for the type of playing that you are talking about. There are more choices in tope end C tubas than there are in BBb's so that may dictate your decision. Either works well for a wind symphony, but a BBb might be slightly easier for some of the keys normally encountered. For tuba Christmas it doesn't matter at all, people bring all sorts of instruments. I think that a 4/4 CC tuba could be maginally better for a quintet than a BBb, but an F or Eb would be even better. The bottom line is, any key could work for the playing you mention, depending on the specific horn. I would just get what you are most comfortable with, i.e what yo uplayed before.

Among BBb's, I think that the Willson is a little too large for quintet playing, but would work well for the other uses. I also wouldn't get either of the other horns you listed. I've never liked the way the Holton plays. Among the Miraphones I would suggest a 191 rather than the 189 (do they still make the 189?). The 191 is a compact horn with a large bell and bottom bow. It has a nice full sound, but is flexible enough to use in a quintet. You can get it in gold brass which gives a darker sound and with a 5th valve. Other BBb's to consider would be the Meinl-Weston 25, VMI 3302, and the King 2341. All would work sell for the playing you mention. Miraphone also recently came out with a piston version of the 191, the 1291. I have never played it, but it has gotten some good reviews. A 5th valve can help with intonation in the low range, but I have never run into anything in amateur playing where it was necessary. It's a nice to have everything else being equal.

If you are interested in making the switch to CC there are many tubas from which to choose. FOr the type of playing you mention I would suggest the Conn 56J, Getzen G50, M-W 2145, Miraphone 186, Perantucci PT-4 or PT-20, Hirsbrunner HB2, HB20, or HB21, or Rudy-Meinl C45.

The best way to select is to play as many as possible and find the tuba that you are most comfortable with. If money is no object then travel to the larger shops and try them all. One hint, buying the most expensive horn you can find doesn't necessarily get the best horn for you.

Follow Ups: