Re: Re: Is Eastman still a Pinnacle?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on March 03, 2002 at 20:00:15:

In Reply to: Re: Is Eastman still a Pinnacle? posted by Current Eastman Student on March 03, 2002 at 16:09:47:

At some point, if your pursuing graduate work, the name of the institution becomes more important than the teacher. Eastman has a long and proud heritage, a graduate of Eastman is automaticaly assumed to have had a good education. I have never studied with Don Harry but I know of many who have had the priviledge and I have only heard great things about him, as a player, teacher, and human being. Those of you lucky enough to live in a city with a first rate orchestra should take advantage of that opportunity. Those of us who didn't go to school in such a place made the exra effort to travel and listen to top name ensembles wherever and whenever we can.

As for comments regarding the smoking of weed and such I say "grow up". You are responsible for your own education. If you allow yourself to be distracted you will not reap the full benefit of any academic institution. Is beer drinking any less of a deterrent? How many students out there party all weekend? Be honest with yourselves! You get back what you put in.

There are many colleges throughout this country who have excellent teachers and have top notch academic programs. If all you care about is going to a school that churns out players capable of making finals at auditions, knock yourselves out.

I guess my point is, don't be so petty. Acknowledge that it is a great program, maybe not the one for you. The negative coments reek of sour grapes and/or lack of information.

Mike

Follow Ups: