Re: AHH!! Where should I go for college??!?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on March 04, 2002 at 21:28:01:

In Reply to: AHH!! Where should I go for college??!? posted by confused! on March 04, 2002 at 11:48:42:

Since I am a graduate from both the Interlochen Arts Academy and Northwestern (like others on the list). Let me add my two cents.

Both Michigan and Northwestern have great teachers and music schools. Both Fritz and Rex are students of Mr Jacobs and I would guess there are simularities in what they teach. Both are active musicians who are not out of the loop hiding in ivy covered walls. Many suggested taking lessons from both and selecting the one you can work with the best. This is great advice but it will be a hard selection between Rex and Fritz.

Money is a big issue as Northwestern is expensive. I don't know if you could claim Michigan residency and get the in-state rate. While I did the master's program over 20 years ago, NU is more of a graduate school than undergrad. Northwestern does not have all their schools in Evanston - the Medical and Law schools are in Chicago. They do not have as strong of technical programs as Michigan. Maybe you have other interests that you would like to get into - let's face it, the numbers are not in your favor being a professional tuba player.

Yes, the CSO is in Chicago. Also Gene Pokorny, Floyd Cooley (part time), Wrigley Field, and usually brutal winters. Granted Ann Arbor is not the Mexican Riviera during the winter but many groups pass through town.

My suggestion - goto Michigan and if you do grad school, consider Northwestern. When I came out of Interlochen, I had to go to my third choice school. It didn't work out and I transfered and studied with Mr Jacobs - it worked out!

Follow Ups: