Re: ignorant about fiberglass techniques

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Art H on March 06, 2002 at 00:14:45:

In Reply to: ignorant about fiberglass techniques posted by js on March 05, 2002 at 09:29:02:

Lacking both skill and knowlege as usual, I went ahead and tried it a couple of summers ago. I put my Weril into a plastic bag, laid a thick towel over it, laid another plastic bag over that, and then started laying on strips of wet newspaper with wallpaper paste, continuing off and on for several days. Problem number one was the fact that the paper shrinks as it dries, tending to distort the shell. I cut off the rough spots and bubbles with a sharp knife and continued. Then I layed on several layers of fiberglass felt soaked in polyester resin from a boating store. It hardened up nicely, but is ugly as sin. I figured that I would just leave the paper layer in there as sort of extra padding. But then I got a good gig bag for the horn and never finished the project. It is doable, however. One could put a coloring agent into the mix to make it look better. I have used black fiberglass on other projects.

Follow Ups: