52J demo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on March 06, 2002 at 11:10:32:

Hello Tubenet,

I went to a local music store yesterday and played a Conn 52J(SP) for the first time. I found it to be a very comfortable horn to play - comfortable mouthpiece angle and hand position. It's a nice looking horn, too! I was pleased with the response and the tone, though I was in a small room so I couldn't get a perfect idea of the tone. I played it for about 20 minutes and had a good time. The pistons felt very good - the sales guy said it had been sitting for a while, so who knows when they had been oiled. It didn't seem there was oil needed though.

My only complaint was the pitch between F in the staff and the B below middle C. It seemed that Conn tried to correct the pitch for D in the staff, but in the process made everything from F up to B really sharp. Has anyone else experienced this with this horn? Is it a tendency with the Conn 52J, or is it only this particular horn? The only thing I have to compare it to is when I tried a MW 2000 and the D was really sharp, while the F was flat.

-ck

Follow Ups: