Re: Re: Re: Georgia music stuff

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian on March 07, 2002 at 00:08:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Georgia music stuff posted by Doug on March 06, 2002 at 00:14:04:

At the risk of being bashed for expressing my honest opinion,I will say this. When I am in the audition room, I am looking for the best player to fill the spot. Students in the Atlanta area have better access to more qualified private instructors, the school systems are able to have more people on staff and have better facilities. Of course they are going to have more kids make All-State. If your students are going to make All-State they are going to have to practice, take private lessons and get involved in musical activities outside of the school. That is reality.
I teach in a rural system and our situation is very different. Private instructors are rare, and the culture of the group when I got them did not value private study, practice, or outside musical activities. So what do you do? You change the culture. It takes time, years even, but students and parents can be taught to value good musical habits. I haven't had anyone make All-State yet, but you won't hear me complaining about how the cards are stacked against me because I'm out in the woods. I won't cheapen the value of the honor when my students do start making All-State. Until then I'll be here pushing my students into private study, organizing solo & ensemble groups, building the jazz program, staying after school to give free lessons to anyone who wants them, doing all the extra things it takes and then driving to every honor band or audition I can find to make sure my kids don't miss a single opportunity. These things have already paid off in better sounding band and greater recruitment numbers.
I guess to put it bluntly, my students haven't made All-State because they aren't the best in the state. However, I intend to do my job until they are, and that is the best advice that I can suggest to anyone who is in a similar situation.

Brian Ridley
Bremen High School

Follow Ups: