Re: Re: Re: Re: Georgia music stuff

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cliff on March 07, 2002 at 10:41:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Georgia music stuff posted by Brian on March 07, 2002 at 00:09:02:

Hey Brian

Well said. as you know things at my school are similiar (no all-state players in years, also well before i came along). BTW, good luck at festival next week. To Doug... The inequities you mention I believe are accurate. And the reasons Brian laid out are correct. The South GA crowd wants wants more representation, because kids which experience All-State are exposed to great playing and musicianship. They want their kids to get better. The problem is that the motive I just said is not the only motivation to many BD's. Believe it or not, SOME band directors actually use kids (sarcasm!). It gives them prestige when 20 kids make all-state. In GA there are several different fixes to the 'problem' none of which that I have heard are wonderful. District 7 (mine and Brian's) was ranked third out of I believe 13 districts in the state in placing all state kids (behind the Atlanta districts). I'll stand corrected, but i think thats right. But number is somewhat decieving, because within our district there are a couple of school that might send a 8-12 kids and lots more who send none. Most band directors work hard, and teach their kids, and some school situations are extremely difficult. Others are not as difficult, and have some advantages. Life isn't always fair. I have NO STUDENTS who study privately, and have had only one that studied for a little while in my 5 years at my school. We aren't bad as a group. I push my kids, but it has yet to become a tradition. (all-state that is).

Cliff Higgins
Cass high School
Cartersville, GA

Follow Ups: