Re: Well...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin H. on March 07, 2002 at 23:33:17:

In Reply to: Well... posted by ? on March 07, 2002 at 18:47:00:

Yes, if you can do it. What I've found with everyone I've tried to teach how to do it that you can pretty much do it, or you can't. The only people I've known to learn circular breathing could do it decently on the first few times they tried it (all woodwind players). I wasn't even taught how to do it. We were playing 1812 overture one day and the band version has a 2nd line Bb that is held out for approximately 2 weeks, and without any prior knowledge of how to circular breathe, I just did it. The pitch fluctuated and it wasn't very good...but as I did it more it became (and is still coming) more refined. For me it only works in certain registers. Pretty much anything below a bottom of the staff F or maybe an E or Eb takes entirely too much air for you to be able to supply from your mouth. It doesn't work above the staff for me either, because it messes wuth my embochure too much and makes me miss the note. However, in the ranges in between the two affore mentioned notes it works well, for me. I did it at all state this year, got some strange looks from the judges but probably some bonus points if they could tell what I was doing. The hard part is being able to keep the pitch centered with so many embochure changes. Also you have to keep your embochure firm and the muscles around it tight and the cheek has to be loose. lol, I'm sorry, I'm sorta all over the place tonight on this post. good luck!!!

Austin

Follow Ups: