Re: CC or BBb an "old dog"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rex Roeges on March 08, 2002 at 23:26:57:

In Reply to: CC or BBb an "old dog" posted by John Cooper on March 08, 2002 at 00:45:31:

I understand your dilemma. After playing BBb for 30+ years (and never on a new horn), I decided that it was time to buy a genuine new horn (note:I am not a pro and don't feed my family with my musical ability). So, I went to one of the "Tuba Boutiques" (nothing nasty intended, I just couldn't think of a better term), with intention of looking at the same horns you mentioned and then buying one. Instead, I played all the horns in the store, in all keys and came to some surprising conclusions: 1. I didn't think that any of the BBb horns played any better than the MW 20 that I've been playing for 20 years. (It could be that either I've got a good MW 20, or I'm not good enough to be able to tell the difference, or both.) Yes, I played all the ones you mention and many more. 2. The CC horns seemed to just feel better, slot better and play better in tune than the BBb horns (again, this is for me, others have reported different results). 3. Yes, I supported Orchestras and Bands with my MW 20 (which, I think, is about the same size as the Mira 184), but the Rotary Neptune that I bought had a "presence" to the sound that made supporting a large ensemble more effective. 4. After having my big Neptune for about 1.5 years now, I find that I sound much better on my old MW 20. I guess that a fine horn can be a great teacher! The lesson in this: play all the horns you can and buy the one you fall in love with, then ask what key it's in. By the way, it took me almost a year to really feel comforable with CC fingerings, but I was able to rehearse with a group with a relatively few hours of practice. Good Luck, Rex

Follow Ups: