Re: yamaha 103

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Dees on March 09, 2002 at 19:08:04:

In Reply to: yamaha 103 posted by JAMES on March 09, 2002 at 17:33:14:

I recently bought a 103 on E**y. My 11-year old granddaughter started playing tuba last fall and I had loaned her my big King. It is way too big for her- she could barely get her arms around it to reach the valves. So I decided I needed to find something more her size.
I was very pleasantly surprised with this horn. It's very small but has a very nice sound - much fuller than I would have expected for it's size. She's able to handle it nicely. And I wouldn't hesitate to play it in my community band.
I had read on this BBS that these horns are notorious for being sharp, and that's proved to be true. We have to pull the tuning slide out quite a way but that fixes the problem.
I don't know what your needs are, but if you can get one in good condition for $800-$1000, I say do it. (I got mine for about $850. It's in very good shape - a few dents and dings. The worst part is the bell is bent in several places around the edge. My local repair shop said they could fix that up for around $50. I'll do that in a couple of weeks when she has spring vacation).
Also, check out this website by a happy 103 owner - http://www.sixuvus.vancouver.bc.ca
Good luck.

Follow Ups: