Re: Playing new CC at School

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zac Spurlin on March 11, 2002 at 15:06:58:

In Reply to: Playing new CC at School posted by Frustrated on March 10, 2002 at 23:03:52:

Dear Frustrated,

You are in a very tough situation. It is obvious that you admire and respect your band director but at the same time find fault in his decision. The bigger tradgedy is that you purchased a horn, a horn for your future, and he will not let you play it during the day. Realize this, High school band, no matter how important it is now, is not the end all be all of tuba playing. Yes I loved my high school band, and my band director, and of course most of the people I played with on a daily basis, but if it doesn't serve your purposes don't be afraid to walk away from it. You could open your schedule and get an extra hour for practicing or other school work. I am not teling you to go into his office and say "If I can't play my new axe then I am walking!!!" Just decide what is more important to you right now, playing your new axe to get used to the fingerings so when you do go to college you will be right up to speed, or going back and forth to make a band director happy for the next 3 months and spend the summer working up your sight reading.High school band directors will help you get into college. College professors will help you get into grad school and get jobs. You only get one chance to make a first impression, and trust me that first one will follow you for a very long time.

Zac

Follow Ups: