Re: Playing new CC at School

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matthew Doude on March 11, 2002 at 20:18:27:

In Reply to: Playing new CC at School posted by Frustrated on March 10, 2002 at 23:03:52:

Just a couple months ago I bought a CC tuba. My concert band at school has all matching Yamaha BBb tubas, which is what i'd played all my life. As soon as I got the CC tuba, I brought it to school and played it the first day. The music was easy, so i didn't have any trouble with the fingerings, but being unfamiliar with the horn, my intonation and stuff was pretty bad. After the first day, my director said he didn't think the horn blended very well with the others (at the time, he was right). So, i took it home and practiced on it a lot, got my pitch center where it needed to be, then took it back to school and played in the band again. This time, it sounded a lot better, and my director was happy with the sound.
I actually don't transport the horn every day, I just play the BBb horn at school. I play the CC at home when i practice recital-type pieces, and i take it to clinics and stuff. I haven't encountered too many problems switching back and forth between the two fingerings, although i'm sure i would have learned a little faster if i had just been using one. Anyway, get to know the horn, then take it to school and show your director how well it plays.

Follow Ups: