Re: Marcinkiewicz Pro Line tuba MPC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TonyTuba on March 14, 2002 at 15:20:30:

In Reply to: Marcinkiewicz Pro Line tuba MPC posted by dennis on March 14, 2002 at 11:24:26:

I just spent a week with the concert hall N-4 on my King 2341.

First, the shank is shorter and the missing taper resulted in the shank not being large enough to seat, and so I needed a few twists of packing film to seat it in place.

Even so, the moughpiece is clearly better than the standard version. It adds a beautiful, full texture to the tone. More resposive, especially in the low register. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it just feels more "comfortable" when you put more drive into it. I used a mike and meter to check intonation. I couldn't'say why, but for me it is more accurate in the extremes of both the low an high register (same in the middle). So, I can tell you this...I found the concert hall N-4 to be superior to the standard version, accross the board.

I guess Klause has raised the question of the day. Is this change simply due to adding/changing the mass, or as Joe claims, due to a better way, in general, of adding mass. Since I don't have a conventional thick wall version of the N-4, I can't say. Also, would the same improvements I experienced in the N-4 be noticed in other mouthpieces? (Who knows, it could be a coincidence or a placebo effect- one mouthpiece is an awfully small sample group!)I have a standard H-1, and I'm thinking of trying the H-1 concert hall as well, just cause I'm currious.

Has anyone out there had a concert hall version made of a thick wall mouthpiece? (in which case they use the rim, inner cup, and backbore, but create a concert hall body) That would be interesting feedback.

If you have a standard Marcinkiewicz mouthpiece that you really like, you probably ought to try the concert hall version. If it plays better, I don't need to undertand why. Maybe others do.

Doc, as to price, the concert hall pieces are $250. Unfortunately,as I discovered, if the shank doesn't fit, they want to tag you for an additional $100 - $150 for one that does.

Tony Tuba

Follow Ups: