What's on your stand?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on March 15, 2002 at 00:54:04:

We've had surveys tallying tubas, mouthpieces, and cases. Now, let's consider the music.

If you go into the practice room (note, NOT a rehearsal - private practice), what music is on your stand?

I'll be foolish and go first. Those who fancy themselves "instructors" may want to take a shot at "fixing" the obvious mistakes I'm making here...

0) selected "daily routine" material: long tones, lip slurs, low range development drills in every key signature, more long tones (in the low register this time), yet more low register and key signature material, a scale study, and finally long tones cum breatch control stuff.

1) a few "prepared pieces" swiped from my sons' All-State auditions. (once they get it in Finale, they hardly mind transposing down to my range and printing me a copy). Something old and familiar.

2) "Stuff - Theme with Seven Variations for Solo Tuba" - those who know this piece can calibrate my general level of play when I say that I'm working it up S L O W L Y.

3) Blazhevich 70 Studies for BB flat TUBA, Volume I - working on the first three, with the intention of moving S L O W L Y (but sequentially) through the book.

4)The History of Music (1450-1900) Book 2 - sight reading fodder; I play through several every session...and then move along. The bookmark is on "Handel" today.

That keeps me busy for 60-90 minutes, followed by a "cool down" playing bits and pieces (generally stuff burned into my fingers 25 years ago).

And finally (most of my practice sessions are in the evening), "Taps" to mark the end of the day (often in memory of someone who comes spontaneously to mind - this does wonders for the motivation to maintain a beautiful tone to the very last note).

And you...?

Follow Ups: