Re: How do you get rid of double buzzing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Grant on March 18, 2002 at 22:14:36:

In Reply to: How do you get rid of double buzzing? posted by A Tubist (of course) on March 17, 2002 at 21:49:03:

I had the same problem and I thought it was due to fatigue. I spoke to Arnold Jacobs about it at one of his workshops and he told me that even though it came about during times when I was fatigued, my double buzz was due to the blocking off of the air stream. He then looked at my throat, tonsils and tongue (I have huge tonsils and a very fat tongue). He could see that the size of these items would hinder an open and free blowing air column. As he explained it, when my chops would get tired, I would try to force the notes in the upper register and that created tension in the neck, shoulders and throat. The air stream/column would get pinched and the doulbe buzz would occur. He had me work on saying "Oh" or "Ah" when I would play in the upper register and that would open the throat, keeping a free column of air. It worked! He was an amazing teacher. I struggled with that for a long time and he saw me for about 10 minutes and it was taken care of! Wow!

Good luck,

MG

Follow Ups: