Re: Re: B&S Eb illustrated

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on March 19, 2002 at 22:49:56:

In Reply to: Re: B&S Eb illustrated posted by Dan Schultz on March 19, 2002 at 14:39:06:

As I have learned about German bands from seing them on numerous TV transmissions, they by principle are using F and BBb tubas, emphasizing the BBb's.

But as the inspiration of the band I was started in back in 1960 was German (very odd given the then quite recent historical facts) I have seen some German pedagogical stuff.

Which revealed, that the Germans are also pragmatic people. One recommendation was to use the Eb tuba because of the fingerings being similar to those of the trumpet when read from bass clef.

When I talked to the present owner of the Hirsburner factory back in 1990, he dismissed Eb tubas as just band instruments. I think they only had a 4 valve rotary Eb model back then. That situation has changed for the better.

Still Eb tubas are not too common on German eBay. One current sample would be

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1714775230

A major German dealer, which my fellow festival arranger deals a lot with in his capacity a studio owner and PA-provider, has a Besson 777 small Eb on his current net pages (see link below).

That dealer is in the Osnabrück area. Maybe you could contact him for some rental arrangement. I am sure that they can read mails in English. The mail address of their brass department is

brass(AT)musik-produktiv.de

Klaus

Follow Ups: