Re: OH NO!! Not another mouthpiece survey!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Two Conn Guy on March 21, 2002 at 11:10:38:

In Reply to: OH NO!! Not another mouthpiece survey! posted by switcher on March 21, 2002 at 09:24:51:

I play a 24J and a 38K sousaphone in a community band AS A HOBBY!!! Both horns require huge amounts of air to produce a full round sound. I've always used a Bach 18 in past. Since my age and waistline are almost 50, I don't have the volume of air I used to have, I put a sleeve in a Bach 18 to reduce the backbore slightly to use with my sousa (I was a machinist in a previous life), which allowed me to generate enough volume and tone without quite as much air. To compensate for the 24J, I recently switched to a Bach 12 with good results. It had a slightly smaller bore than my standard 18's and bigger cup which gave good results. I should note that I play the pedal stuff and "my partner in crime" plays the upper notes.
I am now trying a Conn 24AW with the 24J, I found on eBay, but the jury is still out on that one. If anyone has any info on a Conn 24AW I would appreciate it. I had never seen or heard of one before, but when I saw it on eBay I had to buy it just out of curiosity.

Follow Ups: