Re: a few questions : )

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Billy M. on March 24, 2002 at 02:11:39:

In Reply to: a few questions : ) posted by Josh on March 24, 2002 at 00:28:02:

Ok....

1. Pistons in my honest opinion, slot better than rotors and I can articulate much better with them. Spring constant determines the matter of speed for either of them. And either is a preference of some.

2. Kalison tubas range from ok to pieces of crap. They have little (if any) consistancy between each tuba. They haven't had anything that's really stood out as fantastic.

3. Miraphone makes a very good tuba and is very consistant with their horns. They've been known to be stuffy but play really well in tune and have a great sound. Most of their horns come out as really good although I've heard of a few (very few) actually being disappointed.

4. There are a large choice of tuba distributors out there with great guys that can help you out. Dave Fedderly at Baltimore Brass and Matt Walters at Dillon Music are top notch, plus they both have large selections of used horns. Lee Stofer down Atlanta has the hook-up for Rudy Meinl tubas and probably help you with just about anything including making a great horn sound even better with the work he does. Custom Music deals mainly in Perantucci and Hirsbrunner tubas which cost a pretty penny, but they are top of the line. On the west coast, you have Tony Clements at Low Brass Werks, located in San Jose, CA. Also, you might want to check archives for private sellers of used horns that may have very little damage and play wonderfully. Avoid the auction site, there may end up being something ok every once in a blue moon, but a whole lot of junk ends up there and schemers trying to con you into buying it. I do not recommend Tuba Exchange because there are too many bad reviews and a whole lot of disatisfied customers I've heard from. He'll try and con you just as bad as some of those auction site people. Before going on... remember to play before you buy!!!! A rock may look like gold, but you gotta test it before you know.

5. Hans Mueller... I have no idea.

Dillon Music: www.dillonmusic.com
Baltimore Brass: members.aol.com/bbctuba
Low Brass Werks: www.lowbrasswerks.com

Lee Stofer has to be reached via email as far as I know.

Hope this helps.

Billy M.

Follow Ups: