Re: a few questions : )

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on March 24, 2002 at 13:56:31:

In Reply to: a few questions : ) posted by Josh on March 24, 2002 at 00:28:02:

1. Pistons tend to allow slightly clearer articulation between notes, but I find it to be a subtle difference. The travel distance on a rotary tuba is shorter than on most piston tubas, therefore allowing potentially faster playing. Again the difference is negligible. Pistons are easier to maintain yourself, but require more frequent oiling and maintenance. The preference of most players these days seems to lean towards pistons. Try out a horn first and if you like the way it plays don't worry about whether it has pistons or rotors.

2. Kalisons are variable in quality and intonation, but the best of them are very good. One problem is that resale value on them tends to be weak. The used ones have been selling for a large discount off the new price.

3. In addition to what Chuck said, Miraphone makes "S" versions of their instruments that have less nickel silver and are therefore slightly less expensive than the standard versions.

4. Dillon Music, Baltimore Brass, Brook Mays, The Brasswind, Low Brass Werks.

5. If the HMZ-780 is a Cerveny 681 it is a good, relatively inexpensive horn. I prefer the 686, which is essentially the same thing with a larger bell. I play on a BBb version of the 686 and really like it, but I have tried other 686s and 681s that I didn't like as much. Try as many horns as you can before buying, and try to play the specific horn you plan to buy before buying.

Follow Ups: