Re: Dent eraser ball diameters and more

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by poll respondent on March 24, 2002 at 19:24:19:

In Reply to: Dent eraser ball diameters and more posted by Klaus on March 24, 2002 at 17:03:24:

Q: Which are the diameters of the 4 balls delivered with the dent eraser?

A: ' not sure, and haven't measured...The range is roughly from one to two inches, as I remember.

Q: Anyone ever tried the magnet with smaller diameter balls?

A: Yes. It still works down to a certain size, provided the brass is thin.

Q: Anyone ever have had problems with balls getting stuck?

A: Being made out of cheesy order-out-of-any-industrial-catalog" ball bearings, rather than "real" profiled dent balls, rolling and hanging is definitely a hazard.

Q: Anyone ever tried the magnet with standard dent barrels? I know that barrel shapes are against the very idea of a free-rolling hard medium on the inside of the tubing wall.

A: Once I tried my "real" (greased, of course) barrel-shaped dent balls with the magnet, I began getting far better results. Again, the industrial ball bearings posing as dent balls is really crappy.

Comment: The set is a cheesy pile of crap IMO, but it works. I use it. I am waiting for someone to come out with something better. (ie. perhaps concave magnets with different profiles and perhaps more powerful fields, no dent balls [Again, most of us have "real" dent balls.], reasonable pricing, no case [I don't need another Artley clarinet case.], etc.)

Follow Ups: