Re: Re: Re: Re: tuba "tuning bits"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on March 26, 2002 at 09:30:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: tuba "tuning bits" posted by Jay Bertolet on March 26, 2002 at 08:48:45:

Jay is right about the desirability of having the tuning slide in a central position. But as there are geographical/meteorological/seasonal elements of temperature in your problem with the long slide pull, you might go for a minor operation, which is fully reversible but for some minor attacks on the laquer.

I am short of the right term for the device, but it is well known from Vincent Bach Stradivarius trumpets, at least the heavy models. It is a sort of slide retainer found on the main tuning slide and on the 3rd valve slide. On a long threaded rod you can position some nuts to restrict the slide movements.

This slide retainer rod kit should be available for all repairmen. You might have to consider a version with a longer rod, than the one used on trumpets. The rod should allow for all slide positions that were available before its installation.

The system also has a history of application on tubas. At least one. Two of the York Master BBb tubas, that I know of (one is my own), need a very long slide pull even in temperate climates. The YM that Rick Denney bought from Chuck Guzis has traces of such a slide retainer being mounted. I am not sure whether Rick uses it after his encounter with Doug Elliott, where some receiver/mpc modification were done.

I share a lot of views and interests with Lew, but I do not agree with his recommendation of the bit option given above. Bits strive for a cylindrical inner geometry. This is an unsual feature in the receiver end of leadpipes of conical brasses. In my not always very humble opinion such deviations from the standard should only be applied where they have been a factor in the basic design of an instrument. That is to say on sousas and on the Conn 2XJ series of tubas.

Klaus

Follow Ups: