Re: Dent eraser ball diameters and more

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on March 26, 2002 at 12:45:11:

In Reply to: Dent eraser ball diameters and more posted by Klaus on March 24, 2002 at 17:03:24:

Klaus,
I can measure the balls and send you that information if you like.
I have tried smaller diameter balls, and they do very little good in tubas.
I had a ball hang temporarily in a Yamaha tuba this weekend, but a couple of taps with a dent hammer where the tubing was out-of-round fixed that. If the ball lodges, the magnet is generally strong enough to pull it back free.
I have tried barrels, and again that was a limited success. It has a somewhat limited function, but what it does, it does well.
I don't consider the arrangement a cheesy- anything, but just another tool. The converted Artley clarinet case is quite useful to me for carrying it around in, and unlike the other commercially-available rare-earth magnets, this one has a molded plastic cover that I find quite comfortable (even with a little arthritis). The balls are finely-crafted and chrome-plated, and I can't complain about the cost or quality.
I must warn that, if you are not careful and at least somewhat skilled, you could do a lot of damage to an instrument, particularly one of soft or thin metal.
Do not try to use anything like this on a bell flare, for they are readily accessible with good conventional tools.
-Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: