Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Army Band "Pershing's Own" Tuba Vacancy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on April 02, 2002 at 12:41:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Army Band "Pershing's Own" Tuba Vacancy posted by Lee Stofer on March 29, 2002 at 20:31:35:

Somewhere in this thread is the appropriate place to post this situation recallection.

On my first day of basic, (ROTC basic), I ran into a cadet that was warming up on the weight bench. We talked for a bit, and the DI walked in. Needless to say, we immediately assumed the correct position, and waited for our but chewing.

My partner stood 5'9", and weighed 290 lbs. We both knew what was about to happen, and waited for the outburst about how we were going to have to get into shape. (I was 6'0" and 185).

My partner took the amazing step of telling the DI that he could outlift the DI in any category of lifting, and that he would challenge the weight limit for entry. It so happened that the cadet was the #5 rated power lifter in the NCAA division 1 at the time. After benching 600 lbs, curling 275 lbs, and squatting 750 lbs., the cadet was able to persuade the DI that he could very easily handle the requirements of basic. (This was done with the courtesy and decorim that should be shown to a Sergrant 1st class, and without boasting or disrespect).

There are situations where overweight people can get into and keep military jobs. For the most part, you have to be a monster muscle person who can demonstrate the ability to keep up the endurance as well as strength. For the rest of us, basic will get you into shape to both handle the requirements of field service and make you a physically better tuba player (tubaist, tubist, whatever).

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: