Re: Re: Purchase considerations...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by supporting arguments on March 01, 2003 at 20:25:46:

In Reply to: Re: Purchase considerations... posted by Rick Denney on March 01, 2003 at 20:09:27:

I'm playing one of those Symphony "family concerts" this weekend (typically symphony orchestra with mimes, excerpts of symphonic warhorses, newly composed incidental music, and a "theme").

Of course the composer/arranger wrote the tuba book all over the place - lots of "fast" double-low D's jumping right back into the "normal" range and then quickly up from there.

One tune has a crisp repeated rhythmic figure with the trombones. It's marked p but a post-composition addendum note asks for mf instead. When the tuba plays the repeated figure with the trombones - no matter how "short" I play - the B.A.T. resonates in the hall much longer than the 'bones. However, if I grab the F tuba, I can match the resonance ("sounding" note length) of the trombones.

Joe "I brought the F tuba in the first place because the composer/arranger of the book also wrote in a delicate little solo that jumps the octave up to high E, diminuendos and then slurs at the end to Eb at pp " S.

Follow Ups: