Re: Horn shops in Prauge CZ??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on March 02, 2003 at 22:21:00:

In Reply to: Horn shops in Prauge CZ?? posted by Mark Rubin on March 01, 2003 at 18:00:29:

Prague was my favorite city in Europe to visit when I lived in Germany. Go see the black light theatre and go to the Mozart and Kafka houses. Touristy, but good.

For instruments, there used to be an Amati/ Cerveny showroom right by the subway station in Wenceslas Square (or rather, old town)... however, I doubt it is still there becuse the area has become a big tourist spot.

I couldn't tell you how to get there, but there also used to be a GREAT used brass instrument store (think pawn shop). I bought an antique F helicon that played and looked great for an equivelent of $35.00. The exchange rate is not nearly as favorable now, but I imaging deals still exist. Taxi drivers are the ones to ask... they know everything. I think the shop I went to was in Brannik.

Be careful of customs! I bought the coolest 4 rotory valved Bass Trombone and had to surrender it at the border because of a 300% tax (which I couldn't afford). Really, 300%. I don't know if that has changed in the EU era, but they really stuck it to the tourists with tarrifs in the 1990s.

Have fun, Prague is a great city.

Follow Ups: