Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: new thread - old topic ( NOT BBb vs. CC)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 05, 2003 at 12:10:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: new thread - old topic ( NOT BBb vs. CC) posted by Mary Ann on March 05, 2003 at 09:52:17:

Yes, the distinction is important.

Being good at math and being musical are not mutually exclusive. It's a question of two different paths to the same ultimate objective. The math/music type can often explain what they are trying to achieve in specific terms, while the art/music type often cannot, because they arrive there by intuition and can hardly explain their processes.

I'm reminded of John Bunyon's description of the writing process. Upon being asked how he crafted his writing, his response was, "As I pulled, it came."

I understand this distinction, because visual composition is intuitive for me. (I came to engineering through architecture and art.) When I compose a photograph, there are a few little rules I keep in mind, but mostly I just point the camera until it looks right without much regard to those rules. I cannot explain it, though I can justify it after the fact, perhaps. My intuitive processes often miss, however. So, I might be able to arrange furniture in a room, but it may take me several tries to get it right, heh, heh.

Rick "who doesn't know what clepping is, but who placed out of both English and math, to his later pain" Denney

Follow Ups: